Monsignor John Lane was transferred to Cahersiveen from Tralee where he was Parish Priest, in 1949. During his time in Tralee, he had worked tirelessly to combat the obvious poverty that was prevalent in the town in those days.
He was a very active man and achieved much during his time in Cahersiveen where he was Parish Priest until 1965. He worked very hard to ensure the establishment of the Deelis Power Station for Cahersiveen, a much needed facility which brought employment to the area. He also was instrumental in bringing Ring of Kerry Hosiery to Cahersiveen, a factory which also brought many jobs.
He also saw the need for a church in Direen which he had succeeded in having built by 1956. Foilmore also needed a new church and theirs was opened in time for the Marian Year of 1954.
After his time in Cahersiveen, he was made Vicar General.
Such was his reputation and standing, that Eamon de Valera attended his funeral.