The Old Barracks

The Old Barracks was constructed between 1870 and 1875 and served as the Royal Irish Constabulary Barracks until 1921 and it has an interesting history.

It was burnt out during the Civil War but was restored during the 1990s and today it serves as a Heritage Centre for the Iveragh Peninsula. It is home to various exhibitions that relate to the local area, including The Great Southern and Western Railway, The Life and Times of Daniel O’Connell, The Fenian Uprising of 1867, The 1916 Uprising and Monsignor Hugh O’ Flaherty (The Scarlet Pimpernel) to name but a few.

 

Toilets are available and there is also a lift to all floors.